What is Payroll Software?
Payroll software streamlines payroll processing for employers, ensuring they are able to pay their employees and contractors correctly and on time. The best payroll software integrates with accounting software and time and attendance systems, reducing the need for double data entry and the likelihood of mistakes. Most payroll software also tracks payroll tax liabilities, and the best will handle reporting paperwork with the appropriate jurisdictions. Employees can also use the best payroll software solutions to access their pay stubs and other records through an employee self-service portal or mobile application.
Best Payroll Software of 2023
- OnPay: Best for Smal Businesses
- Gusto Payroll: Best for Added HR Services
- ADP: Best for Growing Businesses
- Rippling: Best for Ease of Use
- Paychex: Best for Businesses of All Sizes
- Intuit Quickbooks: Best for Same-day Direct Deposit
- Paycor: Best for Employee Self-Service
- Deluxe: Best for Integrations
- Square: Best for Tax Filing
- Papaya Global: Best for International Businesses
- Remote Payroll: Best for Onboarding
- The right payroll processing software ensures employees and contractors are paid correctly and on time.
- Online payroll software helps companies automate payroll, file quarterly and annual taxes, and make better business decisions.
- As your business grows, your payroll needs will change, so it’s a good idea to look for software that can scale with your business.
- This best picks page is for small business owners looking to simplify payroll and pay their employees and contractors quickly.
Payroll is one of the largest expenses businesses incur, and managing it can be frustrating for everyone involved. Frequent payroll errors are time-consuming to fix and can cause employee satisfaction to plummet. That’s why many small businesses turn to online services for processing payroll.
Online payroll services allow you to automate your payroll and simplify tax filings. But with so many payroll providers to choose from, it’s hard to know which vendor is the right choice for your business. That’s why we researched more than 70 top payroll companies to identify the best providers.