Looking for a new job? There's no better time than now to spruce up your LinkedIn profile.
Using LinkedIn's Professional Portfolio app, applicants can show potential employers much more about their capabilities than résumés ever could. Instead of telling companies what they can do, applicants can demonstrate their abilities by showcasing samples of their work right on their LinkedIn profile.
In the past, users needed to install third-party apps to display work samples on their profiles, and it did not always work for everyone. With LinkedIn's built-in portfolio feature, users can easily import their work by linking to it online or uploading files straight from their computers.
Uses can share all types of content, from images to audio samples, videos, presentations and even documents. When linking their work, users can import content from a Web page or choose from a range of content providers, including Twitter, YouTube, SoundCloud, Scribd and SlideShare. If uploading, supported files include .png, .gif, .jpg and .jpeg images, as well as PDF, PowerPoint, Word, OpenOffice and other types of files.
Here's how to showcase your work using LinkedIn's Professional Portfolio.
1. Sign into LinkedIn and go to your Profile.
2. Click on Edit Profile.
3. Go to the section in which you would like to add samples of your work, such as in the Summary, Experience or Education section. For the Experience and Education sections, you can add work samples under each position you have held and each school you have attended.
4. Click on the add media icon — a square with a plus sign — between the edit button and reorder arrows.
5. Choose either Add Link or Upload File.
6. To add a link, paste the URL of the content you would like to import (make sure to click on the Supported Providers link under the URL field to view a list of approved content hosts and content types). To upload, choose the file from your computer. The media will then automatically be displayed in your desired section.
7. Add an attention-grabbing title and a description of your work, such as project details or the tools you used.
8. Click save, and let your work shine.
Moving your LinkedIn portfolio
Is your portfolio out of order? Whether your work samples represent a sequence or you just want your best work first, you can easily reorder work samples by dragging and dropping.
Made a mistake and need to move your portfolio to a different section? It's simple: While editing your profile, click on the pencil icon on the lower right corner of the sample you would like to move. Click on the dropdown menu and choose the section in which you would like the sample to appear.
Removing your LinkedIn portfolio
To delete a work sample, click on the pencil icon on the lower right corner of the sample you want to delete. Click on Remove this Media. You will be asked to confirm deletion. Choose "Yes, remove it" to delete the work sample.