- Those who possess a good level of technical expertise are almost always able to find employment as needed.
- Machine learning specialists are presently in very high demand.
- Some of the most in-demand skills are cloud and distributed computing, mobile development, and chat support.
If you have technical expertise, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding work: Computer programming and designing skills dominate the list of the skills employers are looking for most in employees, according to three separate recently released rankings from LinkedIn, Upwork and Opportunity.
The most in-demand skill for the second year in a row, according to LinkedIn’s data, is cloud and distributed computing.
“These skills are in such high demand because they’re at the cutting edge of technology,” LinkedIn wrote on its blog. “Employers need employees with cloud and distributed computing, statistical analysis, and data-mining skills to stay competitive.”
To develop the rankings, analysts examined all of the hiring and recruiting activity that happened on LinkedIn in the past year, and identified the skill categories that belonged to members who were more likely to start new jobs and receive interest from recruiters.
Upwork’s data show that machine learning was the hottest skill in 2016. The researchers said that with businesses harvesting enormous amounts of data, the demand for machine-learning specialists who can build adaptive algorithms and extract the value of this new data is increasing.
Upwork’s rankings are based on the growth rates of the jobs freelancers are being hired for on the Upwork platform.
“The freelance workforce is the best indicator of new skill trends,” Stephane Kasriel, CEO of Upwork, said in a statement. “Businesses are turning to freelancers to complete projects requiring skills that aren’t available locally.”
Those who are not technically savvy shouldn’t fret that they lack the skills employers are looking for these days. Social media management, Facebook marketing and content writing were all among UpWork’s top skills too. In addition, a number of sales-related aptitudes ranked highly on this year’s most sought-after skills from Opportunity.
Bill Jula, co-founder of Opportunity, said direct sales tops his organization’s list because companies are expanding and seizing a chance to grow their businesses in an improved economy.
“I also believe the skill ‘direct sales’ means much more than in years past (i.e., door to door/cold calling),” Jula told Business News Daily. “So much of direct selling is interwoven into e-commerce, customer support, etc.”
Opportunity’s rankings were compiled from the skills being hired for among its network of more than 1 million business professionals.
These are the 38 most in-demand skills overall, according to the three reports from LinkedIn, Upwork and Opportunity:
- Cloud and distributed computing: Employers seek employees who can deliver and manage resources via the internet and a communication network.
- Statistical analysis and data mining: Being able to work with data of all kinds is imperative for a wide array of employers.
- Mobile development: Knowing how to create and develop apps for various types of devices is considered a plus, given the widespread use of apps.
- Storage systems and management: If you work in a company that deals with large amounts of inventory, knowing how to properly use and manage storage systems is vital.
- User interface design: If you have the ability to design interfaces for software, machines, phones, devices, etc., many employers will find you to be a useful addition to their company.
- Network and information security: Given that network security is a major issue these days, possessing the ability to secure the network at your place of employment could make you an invaluable asset to that company.
- Middleware and integration software: If you have experience in using middleware and integration software, many employers may be interested in you as a candidate.
- Web architecture and development framework: If you are skilled in working with software frameworks that help simplify the development of web applications, you may be highly sought after by many employers.
- Algorithm design: If you are skilled at creating simple steps to solve complex issues, there are plenty of employers who will want to work with you.
- Java development: If you are an expert at using this popular programming language, you will be highly useful to an array of companies and organizations.
- Machine learning: As previously mentioned, machine learning is one of the most sought-after skills for employers of all kinds.
- Tableau software: If you are skilled at using this data visualization tool, plenty of companies may be interested in hiring you.
- User experience design: If you are skilled in UX design, you will be able to help companies acquire and maintain new customers.
- C++ programming: Given that C++ is considered to be one of the oldest and most efficient programming languages, being skilled in using C++ is considered to be a major asset by companies or all kinds.
- MySQL programming: Since MySQL is the prominent language for adding, accessing, and managing content in a database, those who are skilled in using this language are needed in the workforce.
- Pardot marketing: If you are skilled in using this marketing automation tool, you will be able to boost sales at virtually any company you work for.
- Social media management: Given that social media is such a major part of the business realm, understanding how to manage social media platforms can make you a major player in the working world.
- Project management professional (PMP): If you have obtained a PMP certification, you will be able to manage projects of all kinds, which makes you much more valuable in the workplace.
- Swift development: Knowing how to use the latest programming languages, such as Swift Programming, is important for every company interested in staying on the cutting edge of technology.
- Chat support: Knowing how to properly communicate with customers via chat is important if you are working for companies that provide chat support.
- Android development: If you have the capacity to build Android apps, you may be able to secure positions all over the country.
- Unity 3D game development: If you are able to develop 3D games, you will have plenty of employment opportunities in various sectors.
- Shopify development: For those who are skilled in e-commerce, sales-oriented companies of all kinds are seeking employees just like you.
- Video editing: If you possess video editing skills, there are plenty of employers who will hire you to produce content for marketing purposes.
- AutoCAD: Being able to use a prominent design and drafting software application such as AutoCAD, construction companies will hire you to make 2D and 3D designs.
- Facebook marketing: Knowing how to properly market on Facebook is imperative for businesses that have Facebook pages.
- API development: Those who are capable of using API to build and develop software may have a place at an array of companies and organizations.
- Content writing: Since content writing is an intricate part of social media, marketing plans, etc., knowing how to write content would make you a well-needed member of any company.
- .NET framework: Being skilled in the .NET framework allows you to help create applications for companies of all kinds.
- WordPress development: If you have experience in working with WordPress, there are plenty of companies that will find you to be useful.
- Direct sales: Being able to drive sales will always make you a highly attractive candidate to various types of employers.
- Sales management: If you are skilled at training and mobilizing a sales team towards success, there are plenty of companies willing to hire you.
- Business development: If you know how to help businesses develop and achieve new heights, many small and medium businesses could use your help.
- Customer service: Given that providing outstanding customer service is what attracts and maintains customers, being skilled in customer service is a huge asset.
- Account management: Possessing the ability to foster relationships with clients to retain them for the long-term, makes you a major asset to sales-driven companies.
- Accounting: Those who are skilled in accounting are well sought after because they are able to keep up with expenses and help them save money on expenses.
- Salesforce: If you are skilled in using this customer relationship management solution, there are plenty of sales-driven companies looking for you.
- Sales operations: Being skilled in sales operations will make you an invaluable asset to sales-driven companies.