After conducting extensive research on professional employer organizations, we recommend Insperity as the best PEO service for small businesses in 2018. To understand how we selected our best picks, you can find our methodology, and a comprehensive list of PEO services, on our best picks page.
What set Insperity apart from competitors is its flexible service options for small businesses. Unlike many competitors, Insperity works with your business to match you with the features you need. This unique offering is attractive for small business owners.
Tailored service: Instead of working with a one-size-fits-all PEO solution, you can enroll in services and features that match your business's needs, regardless of the development stage. If, for example, you're a small business looking only for payroll processing services and HR solutions, Insperity can start you with only those two services and then build out more features as your business grows. This tailored service model allows your business to continue normal operation without having extensive features at the onset of your service.
Contract structure: Insperity doesn't require a long-term contract, and business owners can cancel their service as long as they provide 30 days' notice. While there is a five-employee minimum requirement, Insperity will only charge per-employee as opposed to taking a percentage of total payroll. This means that your costs – not including healthcare or benefits costs – will remain the same as long as the number of workers remains the same.
Hands-on service: Insperity provides a team of experts to handle your HR, benefits, payroll and risk management needs. You can collaborate with these experts on developing HR policies, finding the right benefits plans and addressing compliance issues. We were assured throughout the customer service process that each member of the team would be able to provide us with one-on-one support.
Editor's Note: Looking for information on PEOs? Use the questionnaire below, and our vendor partners will contact you to provide you with the information you need:
Insperity has a wide range of services to offer small businesses. Small business owners can find support in HR solutions, risk management and benefits administration. It also offers some of the most extensive training resources of any company we reviewed. Some other services Insperity offers include:
- Recruitment services
- Employee on-boarding
- Employee screening,
- Handbook and policy development
- Performance management
- Termination and dispute assistance
- Workers' compensation
- Safety training
- OSHA compliance
- ACA compliance
- On-site safety inspections
- Time and attendance tracking and software
- Paid time off accrual tracking
- Wage garnishments
- Health, vision and dental benefits administration
- Employee wellness programs
One area where Insperity excels is in its training resources. Businesses have access to 3,000 online courses, 15,000 digital books as well as live virtual training. Insperity also offers on-site training on safety topics and other HR training topics tailored to your business, like conflict management or sexual harassment training. This kind of training offering was one of the best of any company we reviewed – the resources are extensive, and the mix of on-site and live virtual training means that your business will have access to everything it needs for coaching employees in the workplace.
- Accreditation: This company is accredited by both the IRS and the Employer Services Assurance Corporation, grouping it with other industry-leading PEOs. The IRS has a certification process that ensures certain PEOs are healthy and able to provide the services they offer. The ESAC is an independent PEO rating organization that grades PEOs on the quality and depth of their services.
- Customer service: We interacted with Insperity via email and phone posing as small business owners searching for a PEO service. In all instances, Insperity's sales team were helpful and informative, going the extra mile to ensure that all of our questions were answered and that we had established a personal connection with the sales representative. They helped explain important healthcare concepts to us, and didn't push too hard for a sale in our interactions with them.
Insperity only offers one master healthcare plan for employees, so businesses looking to provide workers with multiple health care options need to consider this while looking at Insperity. The benefit of having a master healthcare plan is stable and low rates – all Insperity partners have employees on the same plan, meaning the potentially tens or even hundreds of thousands of employees are on the same healthcare plan. This will keep rates low and decrease the chance of switching plans. It also means, unfortunately, that your employees will only have access to one master plan.
Ready to choose a PEO solution? Here's a breakdown of our full coverage: