- LinkedIn provides great resources for hiring.
- Becoming a recruiter can help you find new applicants.
- Posting a unique job application can help you find the perfect candidate for every job.
- This article is for business owners and hiring managers who want to use LinkedIn to find their next team member.
Looking to hire? You can post job listings on job search websites and wait for job applicants to come to you. Chances are, you'll end up with tens – or even hundreds – of applicants, giving you a wide pool of qualified, unqualified and irrelevant job seekers from which to choose. Or, you can save yourself from resume and spam overload by looking for the perfect candidates yourself.
Whether you're looking for an entry-level recent college graduate or an established professional, LinkedIn's recruiter tools and advanced search features can help you find the perfect candidates in far less time than you would by wading through digital piles of cover letters and resumes.
As the most popular professional social network, with more than 250 million members, LinkedIn is a treasure trove of qualified job candidates who can help grow your small business.
There are several ways to recruit employees using LinkedIn for business features. You can join a LinkedIn group for job seekers and spread the word, set up a company career page or upgrade to one of LinkedIn's premium recruiter accounts. As a premier recruiter, members have access to advanced tools – such as enhanced filters, search alerts and InMail messages for contacting prospects. You can also post highly targeted LinkedIn job ads so only the most qualified candidates apply.
Tip: Read our LinkedIn overview to learn more about this powerful networking platform.
What Is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a social media site designed for business professionals to connect and grow their careers. If you want to improve your hiring process, LinkedIn is a great way to narrow the applicant field to those truly matched for the job. This way, you can take the time to review a relevant list of candidates, instead of wading through applications that don't meet your needs.
Did you know? LinkedIn is an effective search engine and promotional platform for hiring, but it also keeps you up to date on business trends and best practices for your organization.
How to post a job on LinkedIn
Unlike major job search websites – such as Craigslist, CareerBuilder, Monster and Indeed – LinkedIn's job boards do a great job of automatically filtering out unqualified candidates. Instead of job postings being visible to anyone, they are automatically matched with targeted members. LinkedIn also gives employers access to real-time analytics, and applicant profiles and connections.
Here's how to post a job opening on LinkedIn:
- Go to your LinkedIn home page and select Jobs from the top menu.
- Click Post a Job.
- On the Job Details page, enter your company and job opening information in the Description text box.
- Click the Add Skill icon to include desired skills and expertise.
- Click Continue.
- On the Applicant Options page, choose how you want to be notified about applicants and add screening questions to help identify your top recruits.
- Review the posting and click Post Job when you're satisfied.
Employers can also sponsor their job postings. If you select this option, LinkedIn will feature the job ad to targeted audiences on sidebars and via email. This is a fantastic way to get the attention of potential qualified candidates who might not be actively looking.
Tip: To stay competitive in tech recruiting, consider training talented individuals with transferable skills in the roles you need.
How to upgrade to a premium recruiter account
Upgrading to a premium recruiter account gives you the tools you need to search for and contact the best talent for your company. Here's how to become a premium member:
- From your profile or the LinkedIn homepage, click the Upgrade button in the upper right corner.
- Click the For Recruiters tab.
- Choose a plan, and pay with a credit card.
Once you've upgraded your account, you'll have access to recruiter tools – such as prospect tracking, candidate organization, full network and out-of-network visibility, team collaboration, premium search (including advanced filters and search alerts), and InMail, LinkedIn's direct messaging feature that lets users contact any LinkedIn member without needing a connection, introduction, or contact information.
Does it cost anything to post a job on LinkedIn?
It doesn't cost anything to create a basic LinkedIn account. However, the site offers paid options with more features. For example, a Recruiter Lite account costs $99.95 per month, and the Corporate account costs $825 per month.
What are the benefits of using LinkedIn?
One benefit of using LinkedIn is that you can connect with other business professionals who are looking to start or grow their careers. If you're hiring, LinkedIn is beneficial because it provides a more comprehensive view of candidates than resumes alone offer.
- More insight into candidates: With LinkedIn, any recruiter can easily research individual roles and responsibilities, and find candidates actively looking for work. LinkedIn is a powerful platform that acts as a search engine to help you find the right employee. It also gives you insights into passive candidates who may not be actively looking, but offer all the necessary skills a role needs. HR representatives can research the average wages and perks for a given role to ensure you get the right candidates, so you can hire the perfect employee who will provide reliable service for years to come.
- Social connections: Thanks to LinkedIn's social networking features, you can stay connected with past colleagues or connect with new professionals. With a solid, reliable network at your disposal, you can ask for referrals and recommendations on top-qualified candidates. When you have people you know and trust with first-hand experience working with a potential employee, you can find the right person to quickly fill a role.
- Up-to-date community: With an active community offering current insights and updates daily, LinkedIn offers background information on potential candidates. A LinkedIn profile has room for recommendations that help you get a sense of who a candidate is, what they can bring to your organization and how they can optimize operations.
Tip: If you're looking for work, be aware that social media screening by potential employers is becoming commonplace, so manage your social media presence thoughtfully.
How to join a LinkedIn group
Here's how to join a LinkedIn group to find job seekers:
- Find a group. Use LinkedIn's search bar to search for a group. Use general keywords, like "job seekers" or "job hunters," or focus on your industry with keywords, like "business" or "creative jobs." You can also filter by location, such as "New York jobs" or "San Francisco jobs."
- Post the job. Post your job opening in a discussion thread. Include the job description and contact preferences. Keep an eye on the thread for additional replies.
Sara Angeles contributed to the writing and research in this article.