Looking for top talent? LinkedIn offers several ways to reach highly qualified job seekers and find the perfect fit for your business.
- LinkedIn provides great resources for hiring.
- Becoming a recruiter can help you find new applicants.
- Posting a unique job application can help you find the perfect candidate for every job.
Looking to hire? You can post job listings on job search websites and wait for job applicants to come to you. Chances are, you'll end up with tens, or even hundreds, of applicants, giving you a wide pool of qualified, unqualified and irrelevant job seekers from which to choose. Or, you can save yourself from résumé and spam overload by looking for the perfect candidates yourself.
Whether you are looking for an entry-level recent college graduate or an established professional, LinkedIn's recruiter tools and advanced search features can help you find the perfect candidates in far less time than you would by wading through digital piles of cover letters and résumés. As the most popular professional social network, with more than 250 million members, LinkedIn is a treasure trove of qualified job candidates who can help grow your small business. [What Is LinkedIn?]
There are several ways to recruit employees on LinkedIn. One way is to join a LinkedIn group for job seekers and spread the word. Another way is to upgrade to one of LinkedIn's Premium Recruiter accounts, which gives members access to advanced tools such as enhanced filters, search alerts and InMail messages for contacting prospects. Businesses can also post highly targeted LinkedIn job ads, so that only the most qualified candidates will apply.
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a social media site that was designed for business and career professionals to come together to grow their careers and connect. If you are hiring, using LinkedIn is a great way to narrow down the field of applicants to those who are truly matched for the job. Rather than wading through hundreds of applications that don't meet your needs, you can see a more relevant list of candidates and take the time to review those applications more thoroughly.
What are the benefits of using LinkedIn?
One benefit of using LinkedIn is that you can connect with other business professionals who are looking to start or grow their careers. If you are hiring, LinkedIn is beneficial because it provides a more comprehensive view of candidates than résumés alone offer.
Does it cost anything to post a job on LinkedIn?
It doesn't cost anything to create a basic LinkedIn account. However, the site offers other paid options. For example, a Recruiter Lite account costs $99.95 per month and the Corporate account costs $825 per month.
How to join a LinkedIn group
Here's how to join a LinkedIn group to find job seekers:
- Find a group using the search bar on top of any LinkedIn page. Use general keywords, like "job seekers" or "job hunters"; focus on your industry, with keywords like "business" or "creative jobs"; or filter by location, like "New York jobs" or "San Francisco jobs."
- Post your job opening in a discussion thread. Include the job description and contact preferences. Keep an eye on the thread for additional replies.
How to upgrade to a Premium Recruiter account
Upgrading to a Premium Recruiter account gives employers the tools they need to search for and contact the best talent for their business. Here's how to do it:
- From your profile or the LinkedIn homepage, click the Upgrade button in the upper-right corner.
- Click the For Recruiters tab. Choose a plan, and pay with a credit card.
- Once your account has been upgraded, you will have access to recruiter tools, such as prospect tracking; candidate organization; full network and out-of-network visibility; team collaboration; premium search, including advanced filters and search alerts; and InMail, LinkedIn's direct messaging feature that lets users contact any LinkedIn member without needing a connection, introduction or contact information.
How to post a job on LinkedIn
Unlike major job search websites such as Craigslist, CareerBuilder, Monster and Indeed, LinkedIn's job boards do a great job of automatically filtering out unqualified candidates. Instead of job postings being visible to anyone, they are automatically matched with targeted members. LinkedIn Jobs also gives employers access to real-time analytics and applicant profiles and connections.
Here's how to post a job opening on LinkedIn Jobs:
- From your profile or the LinkedIn homepage, click the Jobs button on the top navigation menu. Click the Post a Job button on the top-right sidebar.
- Fill out the job posting form. Enter your company and job opening information. Target members by entering your desired skills and expertise, and then indicate how you'd like members to apply. Choose the job location, and select a pricing plan.
- Click Continue to enter your billing information and proceed with the posting. You can also preview the posting or save it as a draft for later.
Employers using LinkedIn Jobs can also sponsor their job postings. If you select this option, LinkedIn will feature the job ad to targeted audiences on sidebars and via email. This is a fantastic way to get the attention of potential qualified candidates who might not be actively looking.
Overall, LinkedIn provides a comprehensive resource for employers to target qualified candidates.