Teramind is our pick of the best overall employee monitoring software solution because it goes above and beyond the central features we looked for in monitoring software and offers a truly comprehensive solution that is easy to learn and use. Whether you require employee monitoring software to track employee web browsing, messaging, software usage, file transfers or productivity, Teramind has got you covered and then some. It is on the more expensive end of the price range for employee monitoring software, but it's well worth the cost.
With Teramind, you get what you pay for. The per user, per month rate is higher than many of the other employee monitoring software solutions we reviewed, but the comprehensiveness and usability of the system you get in exchange make the expense worthwhile – if you have the room in your budget.
Teramind requires a minimum of five users at a rate of $35 per user, per month. Considering the minimum-user threshold, this means Teramind starts at $175 per month. There are, however, opportunities for discounted rates if you purchase a license for several users.
Teramind's pricing is listed on the company's website, which shows exactly what your subscription cost would be based on the number of users you plan to monitor. To see the costs of obtaining a license for multiple users, use Teramind's pricing tool to find out your base monthly estimate.
Teramind excels in offering a long list of effective features for monitoring employee actions and responding to (or preventing) violations of company policy. Like most leading employee monitoring software solutions, Teramind has both a stealth mode and a freelancer mode.
Depending on your specific needs, Teramind can run silently so your employees are unaware the agent has been installed on their device, or it can run out in the open either as a deterrent to misbehavior or as a tool for part-time and freelance workers who use their personal devices.
Teramind offers a huge slate of activity monitoring tools that keep administrators fully apprised of employee activity at all times. The software can also flag anomalous behavior or high-risk activity when the administrator is not actively searching for it.
Here's a look at some of the tools Teramind uses to keep tabs on employees around the clock:
- Webpages and applications: This tool reports on the software applications that are launched or webpages a user accesses during their session. Each component on the list is filterable and includes a video segment that administrators can view of the user accessing the program or webpage. A helpful bar graph displays the most frequently accessed applications and websites among active users. Preset classifications allow Teramind to determine whether a user is being productive or unproductive with their use of a particular application or webpage.
- Emails: The email monitoring tool shows all incoming and outgoing emails, including content and attachments. Each instance is timestamped.
- File transfers: All file transfers in or out are tracked, including local files, web files or those transferred with a removable device such as a USB drive. Again, each instance is timestamped and tagged with a video of the user's screen during the transfer in question.
- Instant messaging: Similar to the email tool, the instant messaging tool monitors live chats across multiple platforms, including Facebook, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp and Slack. Admins can review the content of all chats as well as the participants and the date and time at which the chat occurred.
- Keystrokes: The keystroke logger tracks everything a user types and where that activity occurred. For example, if a user Googles "cute cat pics," an admin can view the search along with the timestamp and a video clip.
- Searches: The searches tool shows all online or offline searches conducted by users.
- Printing: The printing tool shows all prints a user initiates on any printer they might be able to connect to. A scanned copy of the printed document is saved for admin review.
- Snapshots: Snapshots are taken in 10-minute increments and help admins review where an employee has been productive or not. These screenshots are archived in an employee profile, and each can be more reviewed as a complete 10-minute video file.
Rules and Policies
Teramind allows administrators to set various rules and policies that automate the employee monitoring process. These rules flag or block any prohibited behavior as well as deliver warnings to users who might be running afoul of company policy.
Any user that tries to circumvent these rules or gain access to filtered content is flagged by the system and the admin is notified. There are dozens of templates within the system, but if none of those appeal to your specific needs, you can build your own policies step by step.
Behavioral alerts can be applied to any of the activity monitoring tools, ensuring that no violation goes unnoticed, even if there are no admins monitoring the system when the violation occurs. In addition to the alert, archiving measures let admins review the incident once they log in and see the notification. Teramind is always on and always watching, so you don't have to be.
The behavioral rules and company policies can also be configured to automatically block certain activities. For example, if you don't want users sending personal emails or live chats during work hours, you can tailor the system to block access to the related platforms. You can also block certain webpages by setting filters to cover both general categories as well as specific sites. You can also restrict users' ability to use removable devices.
Teramind's reporting keeps administrators fully in the know, allowing them to review individual employees, groups and the organization as a whole from different angles. The software uses color-coded graphs and charts that are easy to understand at a glance.
Reports can be tailored to slice and dice the data captured by Teramind in virtually any way that is useful to the admins. For example, one set of reports breaks down violations by department, showing where the most frequent or egregious offenses occur. Other reports show employee activity/inactivity time, illuminating which users are most productive.
Teramind includes a built-in risk analysis tool that can determine your organization's risk level based on the behavioral rules and policies you've set. This tool is especially useful for businesses operating in highly sensitive or regulated industries, such as the healthcare space, which is subject to federal HIPAA privacy laws. If employees' behavior is not just unproductive but is putting your business at risk, Teramind will alert you and help you tighten up user activity to prevent a looming disaster.
In addition to FAQs and other resources on Teramind's website, the support team is reachable via phone, email and live chat. The company does not list the hours the support team is available, but a quick request through the website's live chat provided us with the answer. The tech support team is available 24/7/365, something that's especially important for such a wide-ranging employee monitoring software solution.
Teramind's major limitation is its price, which might make it cost prohibitive to some smaller businesses. While the software easily justifies the price tag, businesses on a budget might not be able to absorb the cost, especially if they're monitoring several employees.
The other limitation with Teramind is that it lacks a solution for monitoring employees' mobile devices. That means if your company issues workers smartphones or tablets, Teramind won't be much help monitoring their activity on the go. Admins can, however, use their mobile devices to monitor employee activity.
Ready to choose an employee monitoring software solution? Check out the rest of our coverage: