Landing a new job requires a lot more than just finding openings and applying to them.
To help job seekers get hired as quickly as possible, LinkedIn analyzed a group of more than 4,000 "super" job seekers, defined as LinkedIn members who viewed a job at a particular company and then joined that company within three months. The study examined what those successful job seekers were doing on LinkedIn during those three months of job hunting. Here are seven tips gleaned from the study:
- Add new skills to your profile. Add relevant skills to your profile so recruiters looking for candidates with your background can find you. More than 90 percent of the people who found a job within three months had five or more skills listed on their profile.
- Follow the companies you're interested in. Stay up-to-date on the latest news, participate in conversations and learn about new job opportunities. Among the people who found jobs in three months or less, 91 percent used LinkedIn company pages for research.
- Add a professional profile photo. Adding a photo puts a face to a name and helps portray a friendly and approachable image. Nearly 90 percent of the people who were hired in three months or less had a profile photo. [50 Job Interview Questions You Should Be Prepared to Answer]
- Keep adding new connections. Grow your network to be more visible, get your foot in the door at new companies and expose yourself to new job opportunities. Eighty-seven percent of job seekers who found work quickly added 10 or more connections in three months.
- Join LinkedIn groups for your industry. Network, ask questions and look out for job openings posted by fellow group members. More than 80 percent of the people who landed a new job within three months participated in LinkedIn groups.
- Get endorsed for your skills. This helps show — rather than just tell — employers that you have what it takes to get the job done. More than 80 percent of job seekers who found work in just a few months had 10 or more endorsements.
- Broaden your professional horizons. Take 10 minutes each day to read the hottest news in your industry, as well as insights from thought leaders. More than 80 percent of people who landed a new job in three months were engaged with content on LinkedIn.
Originally published on Business News Daily.