Whether your small business is a local medical practice, helping patients in a small town or an independent health insurance provider, you know how important faxing is to your everyday operation. Under guidelines in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and its Canadian counterpart, the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), federal rules govern how patient information and other sensitive documents are disseminated.
While most medical practices today use an electronic health record (EHR) system to communicate, many practices still send and receive faxes. If you choose to use an online faxing service, it must comply with HIPAA.
After conducting extensive research and analysis, SRFax is our 2019 pick for the best HIPAA-compliant online fax solution for small businesses. To learn more about our process and to see a comprehensive list of online faxing providers, see our best picks page.
SRFax is the best HIPAA-compliant online faxing service. Its service tiers cater to the needs and costs of healthcare-related small businesses. With more than two decades of experience, the Nanaimo, British Columbia-based company is well-versed in HIPAA compliance and PHIPA regulations and is capable of securely handling the faxes you send and receive without making the process needlessly confusing or laborious.
To comply with U.S. and Canadian healthcare privacy laws, SRFax employs multiple levels of data protection in the form of 2048-bit SSL Certification, 2048-bit RSA public keys, PGP encryption, and conventional password protection. The company issues an encrypted session ID cookie to identify each user whenever they are connected to the system. Once logged in, users' communications are continuously encrypted.
For further protection from intrusion, SRFax also secures its servers. The company's production equipment is located in a facility protected with "24-hour physical security, redundant electrical generators and other backup equipment designed to keep servers secure and continually up and running." The full list of security measures can be found on the company's website.
Along with the company's commitment to security, SRFax is a good faxing solution for healthcare organizations because of the following features.
- Support for multiple individual user accounts
- Unlimited authorized email addresses
- Unlimited online storage of sent and received faxes
SRFax offers several service tiers and costs. You can subscribe to each plan on either a monthly or yearly basis, and there are separate plans for regular businesses and healthcare businesses. The following service tiers are for small businesses operating in the healthcare industry. Page counts include faxes sent and received. Each page over the monthly allotment costs an additional 3.5 cents.
- Healthcare Lite: This plan costs $7.95 per month (or $78 per year) and includes 200 pages.
- Healthcare Basic: This option costs $10.95 per month (or $108 per year) for 500 pages.
- Healthcare Basic Plus: The plan costs $16.95 per month (or $168 per year) for 800 pages.
- Healthcare Standard: The plan costs $30.95 per month (or $314.40 per year) for 1,500 pages.
- Healthcare Standard Plus: This option costs $49.95 per month (or $510 per year) for 2,500 pages.
- Healthcare Professional: This plan costs $92.95 per month (or $996 per year) for 5,000 pages.
- Healthcare Professional Plus: This option costs $185 per month (or $1,980 per year) for 10,000 pages. Each page over the monthly allotment costs an additional 3 cents.
- Healthcare Professional Premium: This plan costs $395 per month (or $4,320 per year) for 20,000 pages. Each page over the monthly allotment costs an additional 2.5 cents.
There is no contract to sign, nor is there a setup fee for any of SRFax's plans. Every healthcare service tier can have additional fax numbers added for $4.95 each. All levels of service come with consolidated billing, and the company offers a 30-day free trial.
SRFax has a 24/7 customer support hotline. Most services offer some form of phone support but are generally limited to business days or, if the company is open on weekends, support is only available during limited hours. With SRFax, you always have access to assistance if you run into any problems.
While our experience with SRFax's customer support was satisfactory, we did have to pry more information out of the representative we spoke with when we contacted the company. For most of our questions, we were referred to the company website, which may be irritating if you expect the representative you're speaking with to answer your questions and you don't want to spend time online looking for the information you need.
SRFax does not have e-signing functionality. Though this omission isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, it is less than convenient, as any documents that need signatures must be printed and scanned before they can be faxed. For most medical practices this is a minor hassle but doesn't detract from the benefits and affordability of SRFax.
Ready to choose an online fax service? Here's a breakdown of our complete coverage:
- Best Online Fax Services 2019
- Choosing an Online Fax Service: A Buyer's Guide
- Best Online Fax Service for Small Businesses
- Best Pay-Per-Use Online Fax Service
- Best Free Outgoing Online Fax Service
- Best Free Incoming Online Fax Service
- Best Online Fax Service for Multiple Users
Looking for other systems for a medical practice? Visit these other Business News Daily guides: