Stress can come from many different aspects of your life, and a little stress now and then is totally normal. But if you're feeling stressed out all the time because of your job, you might need to re-evaluate your career.
Dealing with too much stress at work can affect your physical and mental health, said Melissa Lamson, CEO and president of intercultural training company Lamson Consulting. She noted that stress can cause back problems, stomachaches, headaches and exhaustion.
"[Your] exhaustion level is high, which can lead to crankiness, burnout, and a lack of ability to think innovatively or creatively," Lamson added.
So how much stress is too much stress? If you feel like your stress outweighs your job satisfaction, you're dealing with too much at the moment, Lamson said. [3 Big Changes to Beat Workplace Stress ]
The good news is, if your job is stressing you out, there are ways to handle it. First, you have to figure out what the problem is, so you can determine how exactly to proceed.
"Identify what about your job is causing the stress," Lamson said. "Is it task related? How are your relationships at work? Is it people or process? How's your relationship to your manager? [How's your] work-life balance? Once you know specifically what is causing the stress, then you can take steps to mend it."
Are you concerned you might be too stressed out at work? Take Lamson's quiz to find out if your job is the source of your stress. Answer "true" or "false" to the following questions, then see how your answers add up in the scoring section below.
1. __________ I feel like I have resources available to me to recharge.
2. __________ I feel like I have a good work-life balance.
3. __________ I look forward to going to work in the morning.
4. __________ I enjoy the people I work with.
5. __________ I feel like the tasks that I am doing are meaningful.
6. __________ I feel in control of my calendar.
7. __________ I feel more proactive than reactive.
8. __________ I feel like I have energy.
9. __________ I am able focus well at work.
10. __________ I feel like I am producing high-quality work.
11. __________ I have a good relationship with my boss.
12. __________ My boss advocates for my career growth.
13. __________ I work in a collaborative environment.
Mostly true: You are happy in your job and probably aren't very stressed. You may want to ask yourself if you're feeling challenged enough. Sometimes a little stress provides the impetus for adrenaline and can make it fun to accomplish something challenging.
Mostly false: You'll want to take immediate action, speak with your boss, look for or create a new position, or speak to a coach.
Equally true and false: You should be able to isolate the issue and remedy the specific part that's causing you stress.