By Andreas Rivera, Business News Daily Writer | Updated Jan 03, 2018
We recommend Selz as the best e-commerce software for selling digital content online. We chose Selz from dozens of e-commerce software programs because it lets you sell e-books, software, video stream subscriptions, music, PDF files and other digital downloads, and it even takes care of distribution.
Selz is affordable, easy-to-use e-commerce software for selling digital content. From launching your online store to managing customers, marketing your business, and measuring sales and performance, Selz can make your life as a small e-commerce business owner easier. Whether you sell software, video games, audio content or other digital products, Selz is a great platform that takes care of the heavy lifting for you.
Selz is free for up to five products. Unlimited plans start at $17 per month. Selz also charges a 2 percent transaction fee per sale regardless of your plan, and 2.9 percent plus a 30-cent credit card processing fee if you use its built-in payment processor.
Editor's Note: Looking for an e-commerce website builder for your business? If you're looking for information to help you choose the one that's right for you, use the questionnaire below to have our sister site, BuyerZone, provide you with information from a variety of vendors for free:
Of all the e-commerce software we reviewed, Selz offers the best price for the features it offers. You can even get an online store for free. Unlike with most e-commerce software, which charges monthly fees, you only pay Selz when you make a sale.
Selz is free to use for up to five products on your website. This free package includes all the basic features you need -- including unlimited storage, buy buttons, a Facebook store, customer management and secure delivery – without the premium monthly subscription charges that other e-commerce software requires. You only must pay a 2 percent fee per transaction, and a credit card processing fee of 2.9 percent plus 30 cents each time you make a sale (rates may vary if you use a third-party payment gateway, such as PayPal). There are no contracts or commitments, so you can try the service risk-free. [See Related Story: Best Credit Card Processors for Small Business]
If you have more than five products in your inventory, Selz's paid plans start at $17 per month. The $43 per month Pro plan includes unlimited everything, a custom domain, and advanced features to fully customize your store and help boost sales.
Learn more about Selz's pricing model here.
Ease of use
To test Selz's interface, we signed up for our own business account. Of the many e-commerce platforms we personally tried, we found Selz to be one of the easiest and most intuitive to use.
Using Selz doesn't require any tech skills, and we could start instantly. The platform has a clean layout with flat icons and a side navigation menu, so it was easy to get around the Selz dashboard. There was no need to set up anything manually, so it took only minutes to start adding products, choose a website theme and set up our store.
What we also loved about Selz is the top menu bar that allows you to easily sort your listings. Not only can this feature help you find products faster, but it will give you a better idea of what your inventory looks like. Besides displaying all listings, you can sort products by category or by their status of active, sold out or not on sale.
To try Selz yourself, click on the "sign up for free" button at Selz.com.
Selz is all about making e-commerce quick and easy. It's our top pick for the best e-commerce software for selling digital content because it lets you get your online store up and running in no time while also taking care of all the back-end operations to automate your business. This way, Selz takes the legwork out of running your digital store, allowing you to focus on sales, customers and growth.
Here are just some of the e-commerce features Selz has to offer digital merchants.
- Automated delivery: Selz automatically and securely distributes content by facilitating digital downloads and file updates, saving you the time and effort of sending them to customers yourself or manually setting up a delivery system.
- Easy-to-build website: Build your free online store on the Selz platform and use either a Selz-based URL or a custom domain using your business's name. You can choose from a wide variety of professional-looking themes, then easily customize colors, buy buttons and other aspects of your website's look with its drag-and-drop builder.
- Shopping cart: The streamlined shopping cart lets customers easily shop and pay for products.
- SEO: Selz is search-friendly e-commerce software, letting your website and offerings rank high in search engine results.
- Payment processor: You don't need to implement an external payment gateway. Selz automatically accepts all major credit cards and PayPal payments. You don't even need a merchant account – you can get paid fast, with funds going straight to your bank account or PayPal account.
- Analytics: Measure your store's performance by integrating Google Analytics to track your visitors, sales, conversions, marketing ROI and more.
- Security: Selz keeps your online store and transactions safe and secure so you don't have to. When we contacted Selz, the company confirmed that the software is Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant and uses SSL encryption to protect your business's and customers' information. It also offers real-time fraud protection to detect and prevent unauthorized transactions.
Selz also allows you to maximize e-commerce sales by letting you sell anywhere on the web and on mobile devices. In addition to your website, you can sell digital content on social media by setting up storefronts on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. You can even embed your store on other websites and blogs, including those powered by WordPress. Moreover, the Selz e-commerce software uses responsive design and mobile commerce tools to optimize your online store for customers shopping on their mobile phones and tablets.
Digital Downloading Features
The biggest benefit of Selz is that it offers features specifically for digital merchants. It combines all the capabilities you need in e-commerce software with features that help you distribute and protect digital content. Selz's sales rep tells us that this includes the following:
- License keys for your digital content (you can specify them or have Selz generate them)
- Options to sell products as downloads or streaming content
- Previews for audio and video content to help customers decide on purchases
- Protection against unauthorized file sharing, such as PDF stamping and automatically generated, user-specific download URLs
- Product personalization, such as adding a customer's name to files
- Giveaways like free-to-use content and free downloads
Selz also helps you increase sales, build relationships and boost customer engagement. The platform offers several tools to help you manage customers.
- Email marketing: Connect MailChimp, Campaign Monitor, AWeber, and other email marketing products to automatically build email lists and connect with existing and potential customers.
- Personalized receipts: Upsell with custom receipts that include product recommendations, top-selling items, discount codes and other promotional items catered to the customer's tastes and preferences.
- Customer support: Every store comes with a direct messaging system, giving customers on-demand access to your support team.
- Disqus integration: Boost engagement with Disqus and let customers leave comments, questions and reviews.
Need help using Selz? There are several ways to find the support you need.
If you need immediate help, however, Selz provides on-demand support via live chat. The chat window is available throughout the Selz website, so you can quickly reach a real person for help. You can also contact Selz through its Facebook page or Twitter account. The response was quick when we contacted the company via live chat. When you first open an account, the team immediately invites to you to a webinar and tour of the platform's features.
Those who want to troubleshoot problems on their own can check out the Selz support page, which covers creating and managing your store and products, customization options, payments, technical support, and more. There are also additional resources such as a FAQ section, a Getting Started guide, video tutorials and documentation for developers.
If you're a fast-growing business or you decide to expand, Selz may not be for you. Selz is simple, plug-and-play software, making it an excellent choice for startups. But once your business starts to seriously grow, the software is currently not scalable enough to grow with your business.
One of the major drawbacks to using Selz is its lack of customization options for growing businesses. If you wish to add advanced functions, use third-party payment gateways or tailor-make other options, Selz will not be able to meet your business's unique needs.
Another limitation to using Selz is that its per-transaction pricing model may become costlier in the long run. Once your business starts to take off, you'll be making more sales than ever. Individual transaction fees add up, and at a certain point it could actually be cheaper to use software that requires a monthly subscription.
Ready to choose an e-commerce solution? Here's a breakdown of our complete coverage:
- Choosing the Right E-Commerce Software for Your Needs
- Best E-Commerce Software 2018
- Best E-Commerce Platform for Small Businesses
- Best Enterprise E-Commerce Software
- Best Wordpress Shopping Cart Plugin
Additional reporting by Sara Angeles.