Being married to an entrepreneur presents a unique set of challenges for both spouses and business owners.
Despite those challenges, there are a number of steps spouses can take in order to improve and survive a relationship with entrepreneurs. To help, Nicole Bailey, wife of Petra Coach founder and CEO Andy Bailey, offers the following tips.
- Accept and appreciate quirks — When you marry someone who is not content with the traditional 9 to 5 job, you can’t expect the conventional script. Chances are, he or she won’t be home for dinner and your favorite TV show every night, but don’t fret. The sooner you accept and appreciate your entrepreneur for who he or she is and work together to create your own map, the happier your marriage will be.
- Take advantage of the freedom — Owning a successful business also gives your family tremendous freedom and financial advantages. If the kids have a snow day, and the business is taken care of, we can all stay home, pop in a movie and enjoy each other’s company. Most families don’t have that luxury.
- Develop your own interest — Entrepreneurial endeavors can consume everyone in your family if you let it. Don’t allow it to overtake you. Be supportive to the business and lend a helping hand, but when your entrepreneur is busy at work, don’t sit around and wait. I have my own interests, passions and friends with whom I spend time.
- Know each other's schedules — Since entrepreneurs and crazy schedules go hand in hand, it’s important to be aware of each other’s schedules. Andy and I are religious about keeping our plans updated in our calendars and syncing them. This way, when there is a window of time we can spend together, we do.
- Plan a getaway — Sometimes with travel, busy work, kids and schedules, Andy and I start to feel disconnected. When that happens, we know we need to make time to reconnect. We’ll plan a date night so we can remember how great it is to be together and enjoy each other’s company. We also try to take a vacation on a weekend a couple of times a year, which is extremely rejuvenating for our relationship.