- ProMerchant is a relatively new company that has established itself as a credit card processor with exceptional customer service.
- ProMerchant supports various types of businesses, including brick-and-mortar retail stores, e-commerce, and restaurants.
- It doesn't charge early termination fees, giving its customers the flexibility to change processors at any time.
- This review is for small business owners who want to learn more about ProMerchant and why it is our best pick for customer support.
The right credit card processor can handle all of your business's credit and debit card transactions. A reliable credit card processor is necessary if you want to remain competitive and provide more value to your customers. You'll want a company that offers fast and reliable processing service, 24/7 customer support, affordable rates, and up-to-date technology. You'll get all that and more with ProMerchant.
ProMerchant is a newer credit card processing company – originally founded in 2017 and rebranded as ProMerchant in 2018 – but has quickly established itself as a popular processor. It works with many types of businesses, including restaurants, retailers, e-commerce, and companies often perceived as high risks. It also assigns customers a dedicated support team that's available around the clock to provide personalized guidance, earning ProMerchant our best pick for customer support in a credit card processor.
Pricing and Fees
It's hard to get a complete picture of what you can expect to pay just by looking at ProMerchant's website. The best way to find out this information in detail is to contact the company directly for a free quote. We prefer when pricing is transparent and upfront on the provider's website, which is the case with many of the other companies we reviewed.
However, ProMerchant does share some basic information about its fees and rates online. For instance, the company offers two main pricing plans:
- Interchange Plus Fixed Rate: With the Interchange Plus Fixed Rate plan, you'll pay flat fees and a fixed percentage on all transactions. Once you lock in your rate, the fees will not change for the duration of the plan. This will make it easier for you to anticipate your monthly costs and plan for future expenses. [Read related article: Effective Tips for Negotiating Lower Credit Card Processing Fees]
- Flat Rate for All Transactions: With this plan, you'll pay a flat percentage rate and the same fee for all transactions. There are no subscription or membership fees and no hidden costs.
Tip: Interchange Plus Fixed Rate makes budgeting and financial projections easier to manage, but you'll likely save on per-transaction costs if you choose a flat rate.
Let's look at some of the main features you'll receive by working with ProMerchant.
Some credit card processors require you to sign up for multiyear agreements – and if you cancel early, you could get hit with a hefty early termination fee. This isn't the case with ProMerchant.
The company offers month-to-month services, and you're free to cancel your account at any time. If you do choose to cancel, there are no early termination fees. You're free to part ways and find the service that's a better fit for your business. This kind of flexibility is a huge advantage for small businesses. You can try out the service and see what you think without any long-term commitment.
Did You Know?: Most credit card processors require annual or multiyear agreements. Finding a month-to-month service with no cancellation fees can be challenging, but ProMerchant offers it.
Payment Processing Solutions
ProMerchant offers payment processing solutions to companies in a wide variety of industries. When you contact the company to receive your free quote, an account director will make recommendations based on your industry and the size of your business.
Here are some of the payment processing solutions ProMerchant offers:
- Restaurant: ProMerchant's terminals are ideal for restaurants that need a way to process credit card transactions quickly. The company offers useful features – such as NFC-enabled contactless payment, inventory management tools, and flexible API for third-party software integrations – to ensure you can operate your business quickly and efficiently.
- Retail: ProMerchant's credit card terminals process transactions quickly, which is beneficial to retail businesses, and NFC technology enables your customers to make payments right from their smartphones.
- Mobile: ProMerchant offers Bluetooth wireless credit card readers that are EMV compliant and utilize NFC technology. This means you can accept credit card payments whether you and your staff are working behind a cash register or moving throughout the store.
- Phone or mail order: With ProMerchant, you can accept payments over the phone or through mail order. The virtual terminals enable quick and secure keyed-in transactions, and you can save customer information for future transactions.
- E-commerce: If you run an e-commerce business, you may need certain features to support online transactions. With ProMerchant, you can accept payments online or over the phone, and the company provides a shopping cart integration with a flexible API.
- Point-of-sale (POS) systems: If you're looking for a flexible and reliable POS system, ProMerchant has you covered. All its POS systems are EMV compliant and utilize NFC technology, and they have additional features to help you manage your customers, employees, and inventory.
Options for High-Risk Accounts
If you're considered a high-risk account – either because of your credit score or your industry – it can be hard to find credit card processors that are willing to work with you. But ProMerchant has a high approval rate, even for high-risk companies. That means you have a good chance of being approved, whatever your industry or business type.
Once you contact the company for a free quote, it will evaluate your business and recommend the best plan for you. The application process is fairly straightforward, and most companies will know whether or not they are approved within 24 hours.
Key takeaway: Not every processor will work with "high-risk" businesses, such as check-cashing services and even, in some cases, restaurants or mobile businesses. ProMerchant does work with some high-risk companies, though, and is more likely to approve them than many other processors in our review.
All of ProMerchant's hardware and software solutions are PCI compliant. This means the company meets the highest data security standards for the payment card industry.
To maintain PCI compliance, business owners must fill out a yearly self-assessment and conduct quarterly scans of their processing solutions. This ensures that your customers' information stays safe and reduces your liability.
All terminals provided by ProMerchant provide NFC technology and EMV compliance. They offer fraud protection services and end-to-end encryption to secure payment information. These features mitigate the security issues that many businesses encounter.
One of the best things about ProMerchant is its robust customer support. Immediately after you sign up, you'll receive access to a personalized support team. This team will be available to you 24/7/365 by phone and email as long as you remain a ProMerchant customer.
ProMerchant has limited customer reviews online, but those that are available are overwhelmingly positive. On Trustpilot, for example, ProMerchant has 93% "excellent" ratings on 56 reviews – a small number of reviews compared to larger merchant service companies, but still a positive indication.
Where negative reviews exist, it appears the company takes the time to respond and resolve any complaints or issues. So, it's no surprise that ProMerchant has five stars on six customer reviews and an A+ rating for responsiveness from the Better Business Bureau. ProMerchant has had no complaints ever filed against it on the Better Business Bureau website at the time of this review.
ProMerchant is a newer company, so it doesn't offer the same level of experience as more established credit card processing companies. Particularly when it comes to questions of security, it is ideal for companies to have a solid track record – after all, they will be managing your customers' credit card transactions and the security of their financial information. That said, ProMerchant doesn't appear to have had any problems handling customers' needs in its short history.
Additionally, ProMerchant's pricing isn't transparent; it requires you to reach out to customer support for a quote. This was not the norm in our review, as other picks offer their pricing readily on their websites. To receive an estimate, you have to contact a sales representative, which can be inconvenient and turn off some potential customers. Many of our best picks also offer a free trial, which ProMerchant does not (though it does allow you to cancel anytime).