One of the major benefits of having a physical fax machine in your office is that anyone there can use it. You don't have to worry about the number of approved users on your online fax account. But why should you pay to own and maintain such a device when you can sign up for an online fax service that lets multiple users access the same account?
After conducting extensive research and analysis, mFax is our 2019 pick as the best online fax solution for small businesses that need to support multiple users. To learn more about our process and to see a comprehensive list of online faxing providers, see our best picks page.
We selected mFax as the best online fax service for multiple users because in addition to having plans that allow several people to share a single account, it comes with administrative tools to help you manage your users. Additionally, its interface is easy to understand, and the platform provides you with a toll-free fax number. While its service is slightly pricier than most other fax services, mFax offers comprehensive features that make it a great choice for nearly any small business needing an online faxing service.
This online faxing service supports incoming and outgoing faxes and uses multiple methods to transmit documents over the internet. Email-to-fax and fax-to-email is standard with most online fax solutions, and that functionality is included with mFax. The company also offers a print-to-fax driver, which allows users to send a fax from any desktop application that allows you to print documents.
Here are more features available to mFax users.
- User-friendly interface. MFax's web portal is simple to use. From the main page, users can see the faxes they've sent and received. The portal also keeps a directory of past fax numbers.
- Comprehensive admin tools. Account administrators can create groups of users that can access the online faxing account. How many users, however, depends on which service tier you choose. Admins can also add fax numbers to the account and set user-level access and permissions.
- Automatic, searchable cloud storage. Rather than worrying about fax storage, mFax automatically files each sent and received fax. From the service's dashboard, users can tag faxes with easily searchable keywords for future viewing.
- Secure messaging. Digital security is paramount, and mFax's service is built to accommodate this requirement. mFax has user authentication tools, encrypted document exchange, advanced perimeter defense, and routine data backup to keep sensitive information safe.
- FaxBridge. In a move that may seem counterproductive to an online fax solution, mFax offers a device called a FaxBridge. If your company has a few physical fax diehards standing in the way of adopting online faxing, mFax sells a physical VoIP adapter to send faxes through a physical machine connected to the internet. The device costs $175 plus tax, but it saves money on landline costs and reduces paper waste.
Like most online fax services, mFax's pricing structure has a handful of tiers. Each plan is available on a monthly or yearly basis. With no setup fee or contract to sign, you can choose the plan that works best for you without being locked into the service if your needs change.
Each plan also comes with one toll-free number included; additional numbers can be added for an additional fee. How much each additional line costs per month depends on the service plan. Below is more about the service levels mFax offers.
- Solo: This plan costs $9 per month (or $84 per year) for 250 pages. It supports one user. Additional pages cost 10 cents each. Additional toll-free numbers cost $5 each per month.
- Team: This option costs $25 per month (or $240 per year) for 500 pages. It supports up to five users. Additional pages cost 8 cents each. Additional toll-free numbers cost $4 each per month.
- Business: The plan costs $50 per month (or $480 per year) for 1,000 page and supports up to 15 users. Additional pages cost 6 cents each. Additional toll-free numbers cost $3 each per month.
- Infinity: This option costs $95 per month (or $960 per year) for 2,500 pages. It supports up to 50 users and allows you to add even more users for $2 each. Additional pages cost 4 cents each. Additional toll-free numbers cost $2 each per month.
Custom enterprise plans are also available from mFax. You can call the company to discuss your business's specific needs with a sales representative.
As part of our research, we called mFax, posing as a prospective customer. Throughout the call, the customer service rep we spoke with was courteous and thorough with his responses. He was willing to provide greater detail about mFax's services when we asked for more information, but didn't drag out the call unnecessarily.
If your small business sends international faxes, you may find mFax lacking in that department. While many online fax solutions boast the ability to send faxes to more than 100 countries around the world, mFax's international faxing capabilities are still in beta. Aside from U.S. and Canadian fax numbers, the company can only send faxes to recipients in 23 countries.
Additionally, mFax users can't edit or sign their documents before sending them. Without this feature, users are required to print out and scan any documents they need to sign prior to transmitting them. If you're searching for an online fax company because you want to reduce paper costs, the omission of such a feature is something to consider.
Ready to choose an online fax service? Here's a breakdown of our complete coverage: