After conducting extensive research and analysis of practice management software, we recommend drchrono as best customizable practice management software solution.
We chose drchrono from dozens of practice management software applications. To learn how we arrived at our recommendations and for a comprehensive list of practice management solutions, see Business News Daily's best picks.
Practice management software should boost the efficiency and productivity of a medical practice, but the wrong software can have the opposite effect. That's why it is critical to choose a solution that works well with your practice, or at the very least, can be adapted to suit your workflows. For practices needing software they can customize to meet their needs, we recommend drchrono.
Editor's note: Looking for practice management software? If you're looking for information to help you choose the one that's right for you, use the questionnaire below to have our sister site, BuyerZone, provide you with information from a variety of vendors for free.
drchrono gives users a great deal of latitude in tailoring the software to suit their needs. This is not only true for the practice management software but also the electronic health record (EHR) software that drchrono provides. drchrono's practice management software can be purchased either as a standalone solution or as part of an integrated practice management and EHR system. Pricing is billed monthly, and, according to our research, the cost of the software is in line with that of other practice management applications. drchrono, however, includes comprehensive practice management and EHR features as well as implementation and training support with its software.
At the heart of every practice management solution are two functions: billing and scheduling. Billing keeps your practice's financial lifeblood flowing, while scheduling maintains day-to-day operations, organizes providers' time and ensures a positive patient experience. Both functions are essential to running a successful practice.
A good practice management application should improve both processes so that claims are filed and paid quickly and that physicians and staff are working efficiently. Here's what drchrono offers to help your office achieve those results.
drchrono is designed to simplify the entire billing process, from capturing charges at the point of care through the submission process and denial management. Billing isn't easy, and if your office staff is managing it in-house, you'll want practice management software that reduces errors and ensures your practice is paid promptly. To do so, drchrono offers these tools:
- Patient insurance eligibility verification: Prior to an appointment, drchrono allows your practice to verify a patient's insurance information regarding deductibles, co-payments, coinsurance as well as any secondary or tertiary insurance.
- Credit card processing: drchrono maintains built-in credit card processing so patients can quickly and easily make payments at the point of care or from their home.
- Claims submission: drchrono makes it easy for your staff to submit claims quickly after charges are captured following a patient appointment.
- Live claims feed: Staff can track submitted claims and get updates on the status of claims submitted to clearinghouses and insurance companies.
- Billing profiles: drchrono reduces repetitive claims entry by allowing staff to set up billing profiles for common diagnoses, treatments and billing codes.
- Denial management: Denied claims can be tracked and managed through drchrono, allowing staff to revise and resubmit rejected claims to get paid for the work your practice has already done.
drchrono offers several tools that organize your providers' schedules, reduce patient wait times and ensure that patients have a positive experience with your practice.
- Patient portal: Patients can schedule their own appointments and view their own health information, test results and securely communicate with their doctor through the patient portal.
- Scheduling widget: The software includes a scheduling widget you can embed on your practice's website, allowing patients to schedule an appointment with their healthcare provider.
- Appointment profiles: Similar to billing profiles, with drchrono, office staff can set appointment profiles to quickly and easily categorize the most common types of appointments, common billing codes and the average duration of each type of appointment.
- Appointment reminders: drchrono can send text, phone and email appointment reminders to reduce no-shows.
- Online registration: Patients can fill out vital information online before their first visit, reducing paperwork and intake time at their first appointment.
- Patient check-in: drchrono offers patients the ability to check themselves in when they arrive for an appointment, reducing the need for staff to check patients in and freeing them up to handle other tasks.
drchrono, like other vendors we reviewed, offers both a standalone practice management software and an integrated practice management and EHR system. The biggest benefit to drchrono's pricing model is that implementation and training costs are included in the base rate, making startup costs much more manageable compared to other platforms we reviewed. All the features you would expect with practice management (billing, scheduling) and EHR software (e-prescribing, e-labs) are included; the only additional fees you would ever have to pay are for integrated third-party services you might want, such as telemedicine or marketing tools.
For our hypothetical, soon-to-open general medical practice comprising three providers, we were quoted at a price of $499 per provider, per month for an integrated practice management and EHR system that included e-prescribing and lab integrations. Considering all features are included in that price, as well as implementation and training costs, drchrono is an affordable solution compared with many other vendors we evaluated.
Implementation and Training
drchrono's implementation process is estimated to take less than eight weeks to complete. It begins with a kickoff call from a dedicated implementation manager, during which the representative will determine your practice's needs and schedule training.
Implementation includes 10 training sessions provided to staff members to fully teach them how to use the software. drchrono will also create any templates needed as part of your practice's workflows as well as insurance enrollment and credentialing, which can take up to five weeks.
Once you finish implementation, your dedicated account manager remains your liaison. Most of the vendors we evaluated maintained a ticket system (which drchrono does for minor issues) or a tech support call center, so having a personal account manager who is your go-to contact is a big benefit.
Our customer service experience with drchrono was fantastic. The representative we spoke with answered our questions in great detail and quickly followed up after the call with his contact information, additional materials and login credentials for a free trial. The free trial was especially useful; it allowed us to navigate the different functions of the software. Other vendors did not provide this level of access to their products.
In addition to a dedicated account manager, drchrono maintains a ticketing system with an average one-hour turnaround time for 90 percent of issues. This system is designed to resolve minor questions or issues, while your account manager can act as a liaison for major problems and guidance.
drchrono is intended for small and mid-sized practices but may not be suitable for larger systems or hospitals. It is a great, flexible solution for startup and small practices to mid-sized practices, but if you plan on expanding into a large practice ecosystem or you work in an enterprise institution, drchrono may not meet all of your needs. Still, it is an excellent option for those practices needing a customizable solution that is both affordable and highly effective.
Ready to choose your practice management software? Here's a breakdown of our complete coverage:
- Practice Management Software Buyer's Guide
- Best Practice Management Software 2018
- Best All-in-One Software
- Best Software for Small Practices
- Best Inexpensive Software
- Best Software for Billing
Editor's note: Looking for a practice management software for your medical practice? If you're looking for information to help you choose the one that's right for you, use the questionnaire below to have our sister site, BuyerZone, provide you with information from a variety of vendors for free.