With the introduction of iOS 11, Apple is making it easier than ever to get your new iPhone or iPad just the way you like it right out of the box. The new Automatic Setup feature is pretty nifty. It instantly transfers all your preferences from your old iOS device to your new one.
That means you won't have to tell your new device your Apple ID, Wi-Fi data, settings, iCloud Keychain passwords, etc. It will just work the way you want it to. Both your old device and your new device need to be running iOS 11 for it to work, and they need to be close together. Here are the steps you need to know.
- Power on both your old iPhone or iPad and your new iPhone or iPad.
- Choose your language on your new device. Then you'll see a prompt that says "set up your iPhone/iPad."
- Move your two devices close together.
- Tap Continue when you see the pop-up that lets you know you can use Automatic Setup.
- Use the camera on your old device to scan an image that will appear on the screen of your new device. Make sure you have sufficient ambient light for the camera to see the image.
- Enter your passcode from the old device on your new device. Your data will start transferring automatically.
That's it. Magic. Now you're signed in to iCloud, iTunes, Keychain, iMessage, the App Store and FaceTime. It will restore your content, and retain your settings for everything from region and network to keyboard. It will even know your vocabulary, health data and how Siri helps you.