Since the launch of iOS 8 this fall, many business tech companies have redesigned their iOS apps to better fit Apple's new operating system and put its new features to work. Hot on the trail of updates by Dropbox and Microsoft, the latest to do so is Box.
The enterprise cloud storage and collaboration company this week released new updates to its iOS app and website. Aimed at business owners, the updates feature improved navigation and design that support a better, more efficient user experience.
Here are some of the features the new Box for iPhone and iPad and the refreshed Box.com website have in store. [24 Cloud Storage Solutions for Small Business]
Box for iOS v3.5
The latest version of Box for iPhone and iPad takes advantage of the new capabilities iOS 8 has to offer. Box for iOS v3.5 now supports Touch ID, widgets and favorites.
- Touch ID. Use iOS 8's Touch ID for better file security. Instead of using a PIN that's easy to steal or guess, Touch ID lets users unlock protected documents with their fingerprints. This feature is available on iPhone 5s, 6 and 6 Plus, as well as the new iPad Air 2.
- Widget. Easily find and access content by adding a widget to your Notification Center, which is accessible by swiping down from the top of your screen. The "Today Extensions" widget lets you add everything from your most recent documents, important files, Box Notes, photos, videos and even offline files and folders.
- Favorites. Quickly view files and folders with Favorites, which lets you mark content that can be accessed with just a single tap.
New website design
Those who use Box over the Web can also now enjoy a refreshed design, which Box says "dropped some clutter" for a better, more streamlined user experience and to unify features offered by its mobile app.
Here's what the new Box website has to offer business users.
- Simplified header. The new header makes it easier to find and share content by "removing nonessentials" — users only see what they need to quickly get the job done.
- New notifications. Get notifications like you would with your inbox. Alerts include comments, invitations, task assignments and more.
- Favorites. Just like the iOS and Android mobile apps, the Box website now includes the Favorites feature to make it easier to find your most important files and folders.
- Collaboration security. Have better control over internal and external users to protect your business. Box's new website update now lets you create collaboration whitelists, define and manage trusted collaborators and domains, and keep an eye on those who accesses your account with reports and enhanced monitoring features.