1. Business Ideas
  2. Business Plans
  3. Startup Basics
  4. Startup Funding
  5. Franchising
  6. Success Stories
  7. Entrepreneurs
  1. Sales & Marketing
  2. Finances
  3. Your Team
  4. Technology
  5. Social Media
  6. Security
  1. Get the Job
  2. Get Ahead
  3. Office Life
  4. Work-Life Balance
  5. Home Office
  1. Leadership
  2. Women in Business
  3. Managing
  4. Strategy
  5. Personal Growth
  1. HR Solutions
  2. Financial Solutions
  3. Marketing Solutions
  4. Security Solutions
  5. Retail Solutions
  6. SMB Solutions
Product and service reviews are conducted independently by our editorial team, but we sometimes make money when you click on links. Learn more.
Archive

Bigger Digital Videos Make Lasting Consumer Impressions

Bigger Digital Videos Make Lasting Consumer Impressions
Consumers are more likely to watch online videos if they are larger. / Credit: Online Video Image via Shutterstock

When it comes to digital videos bigger really is better. New research has found that people are more likely to finish watching videos if they are bigger.   

That's the finding of a new eMarketer report that examined the way consumers respond to digital videos. Larger videos had both higher completion percentages and click-through rates. 

The big change comes at 400 pixels, the research shows.  Videos larger than 400 pixels have completion percentages higher than 85 percent and a click-through rate of 1 percent.  On the other hand, videos smaller than 400 pixels had completion percentages of close to 70 percent.

[Online Videos More Effective Than TV Advertising?]

Marketers are well aware of those findings.  The research found that 77 percent of videos are between 400 and 599 pixels. 

Not only is video size an important factor in video impressions, video length is also  important in the completion percentage of videos. Ads that were 30 to 60 seconds long had the lowest completion percentage at 77 percent, while ads running less than 30 seconds had an 84 percent completion percentage.  The researchers also found that longer videos ­- some of which were 30 minutes or longer - had very high completion rates.

"Most likely, very few ads actually are as long as 30 minutes, or even five minutes, which may mean that viewers who sign on for such video ads are particularly receptive to them," the eMarketer report said. "But the other takeaway is that how compelling the ad is may be more important than how long it is."

The research also captured a snapshot of who was watching those videos. Women accounted for 53 percent of digital video ad impressions, while men accounted for the other 47 percent. Younger Web users were also more active than older counterparts in watching online videos. Users between ages 12 and 24 accounted for half of all video impressions online.

"As Internet video takes off, the number of advertisers clamoring to invest in the format will continue to rise," the eMarketer report said. "A strong understanding of the performance metrics and audience breakdown for digital video ads will be critical to marketers."

Originally published on BusinessNewsDaily.

Dave Mielach
Dave Mielach

Dave started writing for BusinessNewsDaily as a freelance writer in May 2011 and was hired as a staff writer in October 2011. He graduated from Marist College with a B.A. in Communication and a business minor. Prior to writing for BusinessNewsDaily, he interned at The Poughkeepsie Journal and two Marist College publications. To find out what his latest project is, you can follow Dave on .