Credit: Happy Workers Image via Shutterstock
Want a job with one of the best companies to work for in America? Then consider a position at Quicken Loans, the Container Store, Anadarko Petroleum or one of the other 147 companies that made the list of best workplaces in 2013.
A survey by WorkplaceDynamics polled over 1,000,000 employees from companies that have 1,000 workers or more to determine which workplaces topped the charts in corporate America. The rankings, which were determined entirely by employee responses to survey questions, reflect the strength of several of America’s key industries.
Here are the top 10 companies to work for in 2013:
- Quicken Loans, Detroit, Michigan: The nation’s largest online retail mortgage-lender moves up from its second-place position on last year’s list.
- The Container Store, Coppell, Texas: This nationwide storage and organization store earned first place in 2012.
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, The Woodlands, Texas: This independent oil and natural gas exploration company moves up from its fourth-place spot from last year.
- Park Place Dealerships, Dallas, Texas: This employer is a chain of 11 new and pre-owned luxury car dealerships in the Dallas area.
- EOG Resources, Inc., Houston, Texas: EOG Resources is one of the largest independent crude oil and natural gas companies in the United States.
- Pioneer Natural Resources, Irving, Texas: This independent exploration and production company focuses on sustainable results.
- Mattress Firm, Houston, Texas: Mattress Firm is a specialty-bedding retailer, supplying sellers across the United States.
- Coyote Logistics, Chicago, Illinois: This company is a rapidly growing shipping and logistics company operating throughout North America.
- Keller Williams Realty, Austin, Texas: This real-estate franchise company employees more than 80,000 agents and operates in over 600 offices throughout North America.
- NuStar Energy L.P., San Antonio, Texas: This storage and distribution company owns 90 terminal and storage facilities throughout the United States, working with crude oil, refined products and specialty liquids.
While the 2013 list represents a variety of American industries, the prevalence of petroleum exploration and production companies marks that industry’s strength in recent years. The 150-company list also features businesses specializing in telecommunications, insurance and finance, retail, manufacturing, IT, healthcare, and education, among several other industries.
Those companies hoping to find their way onto next year’s list should focus on meaningful benefits for their employees instead of just a few frills, said Doug Claffey, CEO of WorkplaceDynamics.
“Too often, companies focus on perks such as free cappuccino, rock climbing walls and nap rooms. While these employee benefits are nice-to-haves, they do not drive organizational health.
"Our research shows that companies that set a clear direction for the future, execute well and bring real meaning to work are the healthiest,” Claffey said. “That makes them both top workplaces and successful organizations.”