Every year employers pay hundreds of millions of dollars to resolve these cases brought under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). For small businesses, an unexpected, unplanned liability to pay overtime to just a few employees can be devastating.
The National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) is offering a free webinar tomorrow (July 13) 12 noon ET giving small businesses the information they need to avoid employee lawsuits .
This webinar will bust 10 myths about the FLSA that often lead to violations, including:
- My business is so small, the FLSA does not apply to me.
- I don't have to pay overtime because my employees are paid on a salary.
- I pay my employees very well, and we are like family - they would never sue me or file a complaint.
The webinar will be led by Tammy McCutchen, a shareholder in the Washington D.C. office of Littler Mendelson and a leading authority on federal and state wage and hour laws. From 2001-2004, McCutchen was responsible for enforcement of the FLSA as Administrator of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division.
To register for the webinar visit the NFIB website.
- Should a Small Business Use an Attorney?
- Accountant vs. Bookkeeper: What's the Difference?
- The Best Time Card Software Reviewed